Scroll to content

Interactive Bar


The Future Starts Here

The Future Starts Here


SEND Summer Information from the Local Offer


Summer news letter

Help and Support Manchester


Please use this link to find useful advice for offers available in Manchester


Help and support Manchester

Ringway's SEND Offer


If you would like to know what provision is in place in school for your child or need any help because you are worried about your child you can contact school and we can arrange an appointment with our SENDCo (Mrs Thomas) 0161 437 1899.


The Special Education Needs Code of Practice 2014 Provides guidance to schools and parents about meeting the needs of pupils. Staff at school will work with parent/carers guiding them and informing them of any additional work they may need to do to support children and identify their strengths. If they need additional help they will be assessed in school and all of the information will be shared with parents/carers.


From September 2014 the government have introduced a single category of special educational need called ‘additional SEN support’ which replaces the old categories of school action and school action plus. This will be a simple and rigorous approach which will focus on the impact of the support provided for your child and how your child can access the help they need.


Manchester authority have a document called 'Manchester Matching Provision to Need Tool' which is used in schools to identify what level of support or intervention is needed to meet a child's needs. 


How we identify children who may have SEND within our school


At Ringway Primary we monitor children's progress through ongoing assessment and tracking to ensure we identify any needs as early as possible. Children may have difficulty with some or a combination of the following:

  • understanding information
  • reading, writing or maths
  • speech, language and communication
  • understanding others / social interaction
  • organising themselves
  • physical or sensory difficulties
  • social, emotional and/or mental health
  • managing social interactions and behaviours
  • some or all of their school work

If you feel that your child is experiencing significant difficulties with any of the above pleas raise your concerns with the class teacher in the first instance.


If a child has a high level of need when joining the school or after additional support in the form of an intervention they will be considered to have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and placed on the SEND register.


At Ringway Primary we believe that teaching pupils with SEND is a whole-school responsibility. Teachers are continuously planning, teaching and assessing, they consider the differences in pupils' abilities, aptitudes and interests. Some pupils may need increased levels of provision and support; the school will intervene and put the right provision in place. 


Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) 


A very small minority of children need an EHCP. An EHCP will normally be provided where after statutory assessment, the local authority considers the child's needs requires provision beyond what the school can offer. However, we recognise that a request for statutory assessment does not inevitably lead to an Education, Health and Care plan. 


Education, Health and Care plans are reviewed annually. The SENDCo will organise the review and will invite relevant people to attend. These will /might include: parents and carers, SEN case workers, professionals who work with the children, SENDCo, the child's class teacher and their teaching assistant. 

People who may support children with Additional Needs


SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator)

Co-ordinates all SEND provision across school, helps teachers to identify children with additional needs and supports staff to provide additional support to meet the needs of all children. 


Class Teachers

They will make sure that appropriate work is given to your child to meet their needs and ability. 


Teaching Assistants

They support your children in class and also offer additional support through interventions to help with literacy, phonics, maths and life skills


The Child and Family Counselling Service

Offer counselling and emotional support to pupils in school through a referral made by our SENDCo.


Educational Psychologist

Will come to school to carry out assessments for children who have high levels of additional needs. The educational psychologist will also support school with requesting statutory assessments for children who require an education help and care plan. 


Speech and Language Therapist

We have a link therapist at school to support children with their speech and language development.


Outreach Support

We work with agencies from across Manchester who specialise in children with additional needs and they can provide us with help, advice and resources.


School Health Service

The school nursing team will support families through a referral made by class teachers or the SENDco. Referrals can be made for emotional health reasons, such as anxiety / low mood, bereavement and self harm. 


Trip and clubs

Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities are welcomed and actively encourage to go on all trips and to attend all clubs. Where appropriate, parents will be consulted from the planning stage and all reasonable adaptations and adjustments made to ensure that children with SEND can safely access and enjoy the social and skills development that such activities bring. The adaptations will usually be the result of the risk assessment and may include additional  staffing (1:1 support if necessary), extra time allowances, amendments to the activity (eg through use of different equipment) etc. All activities within and outside school are covered by a risk assessment. These are carried out by Class Teachers and approved by the Headteacher. Additional risk assessments are carried out for specific children with advice from appropriate agencies, depending on their needs, when necessary. 


There are leaflets below to download with information on:


SEND Local Offer

Ringway Primary School SEND information report


If your child’s needs are complex or severe we may ask the local authority for a statutory assessment. This will be in the form of a document that explains your child’s needs and the help they will be able to access. If your child needs extra help because they have been assessed, they will receive an Education, Health and Care plan, the local authority will provide extra resources for your child.


In the first instance, complaints should be directed to the class teacher and the SENDCo, who will endeavour to resolve the issue. For the full complaints procedure, see the complaints policy


Parents may also wish to seek advise from the independent advisory service IAS